Sunday, September 12, 2010

Love’s Greatest Heartbreak


 There is no greater silence, no greater stillness…Like a walk in the sun without a shadow…A quiet irresolvable silence that crashes the ears….  Finally the understanding of what forever really means,  I share the feeling of loss with all of those who have also felt the heartache of losing a mother. I hope  that here I can be the voice that can express what some of us cannot...

You look for a road ahead and sometimes it all seems foggy. Our lives come full circle only to understand the unwelcome embrace  of loss: a generation lost to  us in body  and fading to a mist of memory in spirit.


Every day, I listen and hear nothing but the silence as I look forward. The silence is deafening. I just can't make out what's ahead...

Somewhere the reality of this great loss does not surface for us until this- a reality it becomes. We know it will happen, but until it happens, we get lost in the surrealism of what we must accept. I understand the words "no more", yet my mother's soul is all encompassing. I feel her energy each and every day. 


My mother was fair of face, Monday's child, born March 7, 1921.  She was a beautiful woman  with a classic photogenic allure, poise and a winning captivating smile. Her tough as nails exterior concealed the squishy emotions that she kept protected behind a brick wall  reserved only for her own soul... To know her feelings one had to listen to the music that she enjoyed. It painted a canvas of her triumphs, defeats and challenges. 


When my mother was 72 years old, in 1993, she planned and paid for her funeral, burial and made her last wishes known; from the officiating minister to the song she wanted sung...I am consoled that I was able to give her everything she wanted and more.


I find legacy in the things that she left behind and how she handled unforeseen circumstances in her life. Throughout her 89 years, she spoke through her singing, her poetry, her heart and from her very spiritual soul. And while the world may be a little different because she is gone, it is certainly a better place because of the many lives she touched

So many shared with me the wonderful things that my mother had done and what a purely generous and giving individual that she was. She never spoke of what she did for others... She just lived  her life's credo by the song she wanted sung at the celebration of  her life.




Whoopi Goldberg  made a most eloquent statement about losing her mother:

'I think I’m just sad sometimes because I think, 'Who will love me the way that she did?'

For those who have yet to know and still have your mothers, I celebrate their lives and accomplishments with you.  For all of you who have experienced this loss,  I embrace and comfort you as we find  strength in celebrating the greatest love of our lives.

6 comments:

  1. beautifully written...sorry for your loss. her memory will be your comfort...vivian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Touching & Heartwarming

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiear:
    I lost my mother over 20 years ago. It bothered me emmensely and though I eventualy grew to accept it, years went by before it realized that, it was just a part of this cycle that we are all in.

    Two weeks ago, I lost my wife of nearly 17 years. Even my mother's passing has not prepared me for this. I really don't know how I will make it without her. She was my best friend, confidant, advisor, co-worker, lover and the reason that I awoke each day with a smile on my face. I have never loved, the way that I loved her. And she didn't live to be the age of 50.

    My mom didn't live to be very old either-she crossed over at age 66...somehow, due to her deteriorating condition, (alzhiemer's)it was expected. Even though my wife had Stage IV Ovarian cancer and was not expected to live 18 months after it's original diagnosis, the fact that she lived for 3.5 years after that dignosis, gave me hope...such a tragedy. I "feel" for you and emphasize with your remark that "no one will be able to love you like your mother did." You're right. I don't feel like I'll ever love the way that I did with my wife again either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chuk...Again, I am so sorry for the loss of your wife. She was your soul mate as you were equally yolked. You are blessed to have had someone to love and love you with such a wonderful connection. I was hoping to get to see you when I was back there, but due to so much to do with my mother's funeral time got the better of me.

    You have always been a wonderful individual...Consistent in character and very giving. You are one of those special creative souls who remains golden to me throughout the many years I've known you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure I needed that extra cry today!
    xoxoxo
    crickett

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure I needed that cry today.
    xoxoox
    c

    ReplyDelete